This creative interpretation of the classic Italian Frittata is nutritionally balanced and delicious. The best part about this frittata recipe is that you can add in any camp leftovers you may have in your X-Seal & Go containers - veggies, bacon, anything that takes your fancy. The slightly longer cook time means that this recipe is probably better suited to basecamp or car camping rather than backpacking.
PRO TIP #1: X-Cups, X-Mugs and X-Bowls have graded measurements molded into the inside surfaces. Delta Spoons are exactly 1 tablespoon.
1 cup/250ml = 1 X-Cup 1 tbsp/15ml = 1 Delta Spoon 2 cups/500ml = 1 X-Mug 3 tsp = 1 Delta Spoon
Serving size: 2
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 8 tbsp whole egg crystals plus 12 tbsp water = equivalent of 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper OR 1/2 of a tomato, diced (or substitute 1-2 tsp tomato paste)
- 1-2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 oz dry Mexican or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 5 oz Tetra Pak black beans (1/2 of a 10 oz package)
Prep at home: Wash and dry mushrooms and pack with parsley and cheese in an X-Seal & Go with a paper towel to keep fresh in your pack.
- Whisk the egg crystals with water to reconstitute and beat with salt, pepper, parsley plus additional 1 tbsp of water. A Delta Fork works as a good whisk. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, add oil to an Alpha Pan. When the oil is hot, add the shallots, sliced mushrooms and tomato (or tomato paste/red pepper).
- Toss briefly to warm these ingredients, add the parsley and saute until the mushrooms are soft and have released most of their liquid, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan and give all ingredients a good stir. Add the cheese (optional) to the pan and stir again. Cook for approximately 2-4 minutes, until the eggs begin to set.
- Sprinkle the black beans over the frittata, lower the heat to medium low. Cover and slowly cook until the center is set, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from stove and cool slightly. Invert the frittata onto an XL-Bowl and cut into serving portions. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top for garnish.
PRO TIP #2: Leftover beans can be stored in an X-Seal & Go for a great bean salad lunch the following day.